Thursday, December 20, 2007

The True Meaning of Christmas

It has now been over 5 weeks since I broke my leg and had surgery. I have to admit, it has been a long and frustrating time, however, I have seen so much kindness, not only from my friends, but also from total strangers. People have gone out of their way to open doors, ask me if I needed anything, send cards, visit, bring food, etc. These things really make me feel good about holiday season. This seems to me to be what Christmas is all about. People caring about each other and showing it. It seems like a great way to honor the birth of Jesus.

This Christmas will be different for me. This will be the first Christmas that I will not spend with my family. My family, as most of you know, is very important to me. I have thought a lot about them. Instead of worrying about the shopping, I have spent my time thinking long and hard about the things that matter most to me... my faith, family, and friends. My family has seen some tough times, however, my sisters and I have very strong parents and they have taught us to be strong. Some of my friends have lost parents this past year and this will be their first Christmas without them. My friends will be strong, too, but it will be tough for them. Our faith will help all of us through the difficult times.

As I reflect over the past year I realize I have wasted a lot of time worrying about things that, in the grand scheme of things, really were not important...at all. My New Year's resolution for 2008 will be to focus on the things that truly matter. I wish everyone a very MERRY AND BLESSED CHRISTMAS.


I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.

Charles Dickens

No comments: